I’ve talked a lot lately about taking breaks, and I am starting to realize how essential it indeed is to take one every so often. Inspiration is all around us, and we need to look up every once in a while to discover it! Here are a few things you can do to spark that inspiration:
- Observe your surroundings– When I am out, I like to observe people around me. Watch their facial expressions, the way they interact with others, and how they handle conflict. I write it down either in a notebook or my OneNote account.
- Use your sense– Try to describe the things you do on a daily basis with more flair and color, so instead of saying, she sipped the coffee, you could add in the five senses (or only a few). She savored the bitter black liquid. Keep a journal to look back on!
- Music– I love to listen to music! When I come across a line in the song that I like I will write it down to look back on. Same with words, phrases, quotes, and photos. I’ve got most of this saved on my Pinterest boards to look at when I need to be inspired. When writing I like to listen to music with no words, I feel I can concentrate better; if interested, here is my latest writing playlist!
- TV & Movies– Use them to analyze and learn what makes a good plot line in the story. Would you go on the journey with them? What would you do if you were in the same situation? What flaw did they overcome? Did you like the story, or not, and why? What lie did they believe?
- What if?– Take a story, any story, and ask the question what if… what if Cinderella didn’t lose her slipper? What if Snow White had a sister? What if the seven dwarfs were dragons?
- Read– This is probably the most obvious one of them all, but I would encourage you to read. Read things that aren’t in the genre you write! I would LOVE to hear what books you’re reading this summer.
What are some ways that you keep inspired while taking a break? Leave me a comment below and let me know!